11.02.41 AMTutorial: Run old games and programs on Windows 8 with this how-to
In this tutorial we are showing you how to properly run old games and programs on Windows 8
Kevin Turner, Microsoft’s COO said at the Worldwide Partner Conference 2011,
But you may face compatibility issue while running some old programs or games, which were meant to be run only on Windows Vista or XP. In that case follow these steps to solve the problem.
Steps to run Old programs and games
Compatibility issue can be appeared during the installation of any old program, during the execution (run) of a old program, or in both of the situations. Here, old version of "Connectify” (compatible with XP service pack 2 or 3) application has been chosen to describe the steps.
1. First of all click on the setup file of the program that you want to install. If the version of the program is not compatible with Windows 8 "Program Compatibility Assistant” dialog box will appear. Click on "Run the program using compatibility setting” . Now, the installation process will start.
2. After the installation process is finished, try to run the program. You will see the same compatibility problem what you have experienced during the installation process.
3. Now, right click on the game or program icon (here, connectify icon) in your desktop and click on Properties option. New Properties window will pop up. Navigate to Compatibility tab.
4. Now, if you know the exact compatibility mode for running the game or program, first check "Run this program in compatibility mode for:” box and then select desired Compatibility mode from the dropdown list. Then press "Apply” and then "OK”.
5. If you are confused in choosing a compatibility mode for an old program or a game, click on the Recommended Option"Run the compatibility troubleshooter to choose the settings”.
6. Program compatibility Troubleshooter window will pop up. Now click on Try recommended settings option.
7. Window will automatically choose a compatibility mode for the game or the program. Here you can see program name (here connectify) and the compatibility mode (here XP service Pack 3) applied by windows troubleshooter.
8. Now, click on "Start the Program” option.
Now, the program or game should run properly in compatibility mode.
Follow these steps to run any other old programs or games to install and run on Windows 8.
|Total comments: 0|