1.38.39 PMHow to block applications from connecting to Internet using firewall in windows 8?
To prevent applications being connected to internet in Windows 8, refer to the tutorial below.
What is Firewall
A firewall is software or hardware that checks information coming from the Internet or a network, and then either blocks it or allows it to pass through to your computer, depending on your firewall settings.A firewall can help prevent hackers or malicious software (such as worms) from gaining access to your computer through a network or the Internet.
A firewall can also help stop your computer from sending malicious software to other computers.Here one must keep in mind that Firewall is not an antivirus, they are separate things.It just stands between the network and the operating system as a gatekeeper.
If you have multiple users in your system, and you want some users should not connect internet through some specific application, or you identified an application or service that automatically connects to Internet at background you can block that application or service being connected through internet. Alternatively, you can block the port no that is curently used by some application or process or services.
How to configure Windows Firewall to block an application
To block an application being connected to internet, follow the steps below:
1. Open Control Panel. Then type "Windows Firewall ” in the search box. Click Windows Firewall.
2. Then select advanced settings in the left sidepan .
3. In the new window appeared, select Outbound Rule in the left sidebar, then click Action in the menubar, and click New Rule .New outbound rule wizard will pop up i.e. you are going to make a protocol in the firewall.
4. In the new window, select program to make a new protocol related to any application program. (by default selection is set to program) . Click Next.
5. If you want to block all the programs in your system select All programms . But if you want to block a specific application from being connected , Click Browse to provide the application address in the program files. You can navigate and select your program through the dialougbox. Click Next.
6. By default, in the new window your action is set to Block the connection .So leave it as it is, and click next.
7. Perhaps you noticed that whenever a new internet connection is detected windows ask you to know whether it is public network or a private network. So protocol will be also depend on the network type. There are three option in the new window to select when the rule will be applied: pulic network, private network and the corporate domain of the application.By default every option is selected. But you can modify your rule with desired one by simply uncheck the checkboxes. click next.
8.Give a name to the new profile, to identify and revoke it later. Hit finish to add the rule in the outbound ruleset.
|Total comments: 0|